The Java programming language the first born of The Green Project, which runs for 18 months, from early 1991 to summer 1992. The project is not using a version called Oak. The project was initiated by Patrick Naughton, Mike Sheridan, James Gosling and Bill Joy, along with nine other programmers from Sun Microsystems. One result of this project is the Duke mascot created by Joe Palrang. Project meeting took place in an office building Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park.
Around the summer of 1992 the project was closed by generating a Java program's first Oak, which is intended to control a device with touch screen technology (touch screen), like on a PDA today. This new technology named "* 7A? ³ (Seven Star). After the era of Star Seven completed, a subsidiary of cable TV plus a few people interested in the project The Green Project. They focus their activities on an office space at 100 Hamilton Avenue, Palo Alto. The new company is getting ahead: the number of employees increased in a short time from 13 to 70 people. At this time span was also determined using the Internet as a medium that bridges the work and ideas between them.
In the early 1990s, the Internet is still a stub, which is used only in academic circles and the military. They make the browser (browser) Mosaic as the basis for beginning to create the first Java browser called Web Runner, inspired by 1980s film, Blade Runner. In the development of the first release, the Web Runner renamed Hot Java. In about March 1995, for the first time the Java source code version 1.0a2 opened. Their success was followed with news for the first time in the newspaper San Jose Mercury News on May 23, 1995. Unfortunately there are divisions among them one day at 04.00 in a hotel room Sheraton Palace. Three of the main leaders of the project, Eric Schmidt and George Paolini from Sun Microsystems along with Marc Andreessen, Netscape form.
Oak name, taken from an oak tree that grows in front of the workspace window "father of Java", James Gosling. Oak name is not used for release versions of Java as a software has been registered with a trademark, so take the name of his successor to "Java". The name is taken from the ground pure coffee beans directly from (black coffee) Gosling's favorite.
Early versions of Java
An early version of Java ditahun 1996 for a release version so called Java Version 1.0. Java version includes many standard packages are being developed at the beginning of the next version:
* Java.lang: Appropriation class basic elements.
* Java.io: The Allocation of input and output classes, including the use of the file.
* Java.util: Appropriation complementary classes such as class data structure and class calendar class.
* Java.net: Appropriation class TCP / IP, which enables to communicate with other computers using TCP / IP.
* Java.awt: Classes basis for applications with a user interface (GUI)
* Java.applet: Class basic application interface to be implemented in a web browser.
Excess Java Program
* Multiplatform. The major advantage of Java is to run on multiple platforms / operating system computer, in accordance with the principle of write once, run anywhere. With these advantages enough programmer to write a Java program and compile (modified, from a language understood by humans into machine language / bytecode) once and then the results can be run on multiple platforms without changes. This will allow a java-based program is done on the Linux operating system but run well on Microsoft Windows. Supported platforms to date are Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS and Sun Solaris. Penyebanya are each operating system uses its own program (which can be downloaded from the Java site) for the meninterpretasikan bytecode.
* OOP (Object Oriented Programming - Object Oriented Programmers) which means that all aspects are contained in the Java Objects. Java is a programming language based purely oebjek. All data types are derived from base class called Object. It is very easy programmers to design, create, develop and allocate fault a base for Java programs with fast, accurate, easy and organized. These advantages make Java as one of the easiest programming language, even for the advanced functions such as communication between the computer though.
* The Complete Class Library, Java is famous for its completeness library / library (a collection of programs that are included in java programming) is very easy in use by the programmers to build applications. Completeness of the library coupled with the existence of a large Java community that constantly create new libraries to cover all application development needs.
* Style C + +, a programming language syntax such as [C + +] and attracted a lot of C + + programmers moving to Java. Currently, users of Java very much, mostly C + + programmer who moved to Java. Universities in the United States also began to migrate to teach Java to the new students because it is more easily understood by students and can be useful also for those who are not majoring in computer.
* Automatic garbage collection, has a facility setting memory usage so that the programmer does not need to do direct memory settings (as in C + + which is widely used.)
Lack of Java programs
* Write once, fix it anywhere - There are still some things that are not compatible between platforms one with another platform. For J2SE, for example, SWT-AWT bridge that until now does not work on Mac OS X.
* Easy didekompilasi. Decompilation is the reverse process of the finished code into the source code. This is possible because Java is a bytecode koe so many attributes that store high-level languages, such as class names, methods, and data types. The same thing happened to Microsoft. NET Platform. Thus, the algorithms used will be more difficult to program and easy to hide hijacked / direverse-engineer.
* Use lots of memory. The use of memory for Java-based program is much greater than the previous generation of high-level languages like C / C + + and Pascal (more specifically, Delphi and Object Pascal). Usually this is not a problem for those who use the latest technology (as trends cheap built-in memory), but a problem for those who still have to stick with the engine computer for more than 4 years old.